If you have an interest in photography as a career, or if you are just looking for new inspiration, you might find this post helpful. I remember when I started as a photographer being super hungry for any resource or bit of information I could find. Actually, I still am. Professional development is hugely important to me. I receive a lot of e-mails asking for advice, resources and information on where/how I got my start. Hopefully I can answer some of the most frequently asked questions in a later post, but for now I wanted to share some resources/links for those who aspire to work in the industry or have an interest in photography. This list is not intended to be all encompassing rather a list of resources that personally helped or inspired me in my own journey. Dig in!
- ASMP’s Professional Business Practices in Photography -THE go-to guide for the business of photography. Read this one cover to cover twice.
- Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington – Another essential read on the business of photography
- Tell the World You Don’t Suck by Leslie Burns-Del’Aqua – An excellent, easy read about marketing your work and setting yourself apart by one of the top consultants in the business.
- How to Succeed in Commercial Photography by Selina Maitreya – A great read on the world of commercial photography by another leading consultant.
- Advertising Photography: A Straightforward Guide to a Complex Industry by Lou Lesko – Tons of great insight into the world of high-end advertising assignments.
- VisionMongers by David duChemin – Doesn’t give the nuts and bolts of running a business but is an inspiring read on vision/passion with great “stories” from some well known photographers like Chase Jarvis and Zach Arias.
- How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnige – A classic that everyone in the business world should read at least once.
- Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive by Harvey Mackay – Another classic full of information for those entering the business world.
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom: A Professional Photographer’s Workflow by Michael Clark (eBook) – A great book on Lightroom by a personal friend of mine.
- The Moment it Clicks and The Hotshoe Diaries by Joe McNally – Random thoughts and insight from one of the best photographers/teachers ever.
- Pricing Photography: The Complete Guide to Assignment & Stock Prices by Michal Heron and David MacTavish – Provides an overview and understanding of how pricing in the photo industry works.
- Photo District News – Hands down my favorite magazine for professional photographers.
- American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP) – I would strongly encourage joining as there are a ton of resources available for members.
- Travel and Outdoor Photographers Alliance (TOPA) – An online forum for all things relating to the business side of photography.
- Kelby Training – A ton of great video based lessons on everything from location lighting to digital workflow by some of the industries top instructors. Really valuable instruction in an economical and time-friendly way.
- Strobist – A great resource for learning off camera flash.
- Rocky Mountain School of Photography – Great workshops and career training programs. I attended their Summer Intensive Career Training Program in 1999 and would highly recommend it for anyone interested in photography.
- ASMPproAdvice – An online forum for emerging/student photographers
- FotoBiz/FotoQuote Software – The industry standard for pricing photography.
- Borrowlenses.com – A great place to rent gear that you cannot afford or justify buying.
- MacGurus – Although not photo specific these guys are truly gurus when it comes to all things Mac. They understand photographer’s needs and can help you upgrade Mac computers for a fraction of what Apple charges.
Inspiring and Motivational Videos/Blogs
- Zack Arias Video – This is a great video that was originally posted on Scott Kelby’s popular blog. Zach provides a valuable reminder and encouraging charge relevant to those even outside of photo industry.
- Chase Jarvis Photoshelter Talk – A great presentation by Chase in New York that left me feeling inspired and motivated.
- Seth Godin’s Blog – Daily inspiration for all.
If there are resources not listed here that have inspired you or helped you in your own journey please share.
2 Comments to Resources for Aspiring Photographers
Leave a comment
Most Popular Posts
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- December 2008
- November 2008